Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Me: "Love, do you want something for dessert?" Husband: SIDEYE
Me: "Oh, I mean...what you do want for dessert?"

Since marrying me, the Dude has gone from being "not really a sweets person" to never turning down dessert. And since he ate all his brussel sprouts at dinner tonight, I thought I'd throw together something special - something homey, but not too indulgent: oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.  I wasn't feeling very inspired by the recipes I found online, so I decided to wing it. I think it worked...

Dry Ingredients
2 cups old fashioned oats (I supposed you can used rolled, but I like the heartiness of the old fashioned)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup raw sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Dash of Cinnamon

Pulsate the oat in a blender or food processor for just a few seconds until - you still want about 1/2 to be whole oats. Add to a large bowl with the rest of the dry ingredients. Mix and set aside.

Wet Ingredients
1/4 cup warm water + 2 tsp ground chia seeds + 1 tsp ground flax seed*
3/4 cup almond (or other non-dairy) milk
1 tbls apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup coconut oil (vegetable oil should work too)

Beat water, chia and flax seed well until gelatinous. Add the remainder of the wet ingredients, beating with a fork after each addition. Add wet to dry and mix, adding about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of vegan chocolate chips (or raisins...or both!).

Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for about 12 minutes for (medium-sized cookie).

*This makes your vegan egg. You could also do all chia or all flax...I like both for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment